A sexual kink is a term used to refer to a broad range of sexual practices (sometimes referred to as "kinky") such as spanking, bondage, dominance and submission, sadomasochism (BDSM). Kink sexual practices transgress what are considered "normal" sexual boundaries as a means of heightening the intimacy between sexual partners. (It is therefore distinguished from sexual fetishism, in which sexual desires are displaced from the intimate partner to an inanimate object). Because of its relation to "normal" sexual boundaries, which themselves vary by time and place, the definition of what is and is not kink varies widely as well. They are sometimes considered to be perverts by "outsiders".
As with many subcultures, the Internet has facilitated communication among kink practitioners, and raised awareness of kink practices among a broader demographic.
Kink sexual practices have been the subject of a Canadian TV show, KinK.
References and further reading
* Kinky - The Sensual Consciousness, The Sultry Revolution of the Senses, Chic Today Magazine
* Dossie Easton, Catherine A. Liszt, When Someone You Love Is Kinky, Greenery Press, 2000. ISBN 1-890159-23-9.
* International Association of Rubberists
* Jay Wiseman, SM 101: A Realistic Introduction, Greenery Press, 2000, ISBN 0-9639763-8-9.
* A Guide to Japanese Sex Practices